Our program is supported by MUSC's rich traditions of academic excellence, advanced clinical care and research for which it has achieved national recognition. Charleston's "southern hospitality" includes charm, history, architecture, art, restaurants, music, and beaches.
Interns work with excellent instructors in outpatient and community clinics, inpatient acute-care, culinary kitchens, schools, fitness centers, corporate offices, and instructional food settings as they build confidence in professional skills and broaden their understanding of modern dietetics practice. Our curriculum features 3 overlapping modules: Rotations, Projects/Assignments, and Didactic Coursework.
Effective for the 2013-2014 year, we are please to offer two different concentrations that interns can apply!!
1. In our "Clinical MNT" focus, 7-8 interns will spend all acute care (inpatient) rotations at MUSC working with adults and pediatrics. They will rotate in services such as cardiology, transplant, GI, surgery, trauma, oncology, and ICUs to craft nutrition support recommendations using the Nutrition Care Process. These interns will also rotate in various MUSC and community outpatient clinics offering specialty care in both adult and pediatric chronic disease management, such as medical and surgical weight management, diabetes, oncology, cystic fibrosis, dialysis, and neurology (ketogenic diet therapy). Interns will gain experiences in evidence-based clinical practices, best treatment modalities, and individualized MNT for a variety of complex disease states. Interns will also gain well-rounded experiences in traditional venues such as hospital and school food service management, as well as community nutrition. Finally, interns will rotate in non-traditional settings such as corporate wellness, culinary, and research. All interns will have opportunity to spend 2 weeks in elective rotations of their choosing. Interns will work with diverse racial groups ranging from the young to the old and the sick to the well. Most projects and non-rotation assignments will also focus on clinical nutrition and medical therapy concepts. In summary, this focus provides approximately 40 rotation weeks of which approximately 22 are "clinical" (55%), 6 are "community" (18%), 8 are food service and management (20%), and 3 "other" (8%).
2. In our “Community Nutrition Promotion” track, 2-3 additional interns will spend less total weeks in acute care assigned mostly at local hospitals who treat adults and pediatrics using the Nutrition Care Process. Like interns in the “Clinical MNT” track, they will gain strong experiences in specialty adult/pediatric outpatient clinical settings focusing on chronic disease management, such as medical and surgical weight management, diabetes, oncology, dialysis, and GI surgery. These interns will also rotate in research, culinary, school nutrition, and hospital food service rotations. However, this track emphasizes unique training in community nutrition health promotion, including longer experiences in corporate wellness, school-based weight management programs, primary care practices, non-profit health promotion initiatives, and private practice. Interns will gain unique skills in program planning, implementation, and evaluation. All interns will have the opportunity to spend 2 weeks in elective rotations of their choosing. Interns will work with diverse racial groups ranging from the young to the old and the sick to the well. Most projects and non-rotation assignments will also focus on concepts related to community nutrition, health promotion, and/or wellness. In summary, this focus provides approximately 40 weeks of which approximately 17 are "clinical" (45%), 11 are "community" (28%), 8 are food service and management (20%), and 3 "other" (8%).
Below are very useful links to learn more about each concentration track.
- SIDE-BY-SIDE COMPARISON of SUPERVISED PRACTICE EXPERIENCES BY CONCENTRATION (differences between each marked in red).
- DETAILED WRITTEN DESCRIPTION of ROTATIONS
- SAMPLE ROTATION SCHEDULE GRID
- DETAILED WRITTEN DESCRIPTION of PROJECTS and DIDACTIC COURSEWORK
- MORE LINKS:
* VIRTUAL TOUR VIDEO (note: video produced BEFORE we decided to offer a second concentration in community!)
* ATTEND OPEN HOUSE (held every Dec)